It is a treat having two little boys.
They are alike in some ways, but for the most part, the two of them are as different as night and day. At their well-visit a few weeks ago, their pediatrician informed me that at Stevie’s current rate of growth, he will be a 5’11” / 180 pound adult. Alex, on the other hand, at his current rate of growth will be 6’4″ and 220 pounds.
To which Stevie replied, “I better get to eatin'”.
I’ve told that story 318 times in the past two weeks and each time Stevie says, “I hate this story.”
It makes me smile because it is indicitive of the difference in these two. Alex is the little brother. He’s not supposed to be five inches taller than his BIG brother. (And yes, I do realize that often times these estimations are way off. Still, it makes me giggle.)
Some days these two push me to a ledge I want to jump off of. Other days, they crawl up on my lap and tell me how much they love me, and I know without a doubt I am the luckiest mom in the world. And lots of days I laugh hysterically because they say some of the craziest things.
Here are just a few of the things I’ve overheard from them this week.
1. STEVIE: Month, orange, silver and purple are the only English words that don’t rhyme with another English word.
ALEX: Well what about orangutan?
2. How do you think Einstein got to be so smart?
3. Don’t pee into the wind.
4. ALEX: Mom, did you know that VY Canis Majoris is one of the biggest and brightest stars there ever was.
[It is interesting to note that until that very minute, I had never even heard of VY Canis majoris.]
5. Coca-cola used to be green. Did you know that mom?
6. Mom, did you know that some sharks eat their babies?
7. If we ever get a dog we can’t feed it grapes, or it will die.
[I had to Google that one.]
8. Where does dust even come from?
[Dang, I’d love to know the answer to that.]
These boys are the light of my life. On my worst day, they can make everything seem like flowers and sunshine. I am blessed beyond measure that these two wonderful human beings call me mommy.