Today at 4:00 pm, I will board a bus with 20 girlfriends and we will head to Columbus, Ohio for a Women Of Faith conference.
This is our sixth or seventh year attending. It is something I look forward to every year.
Here’s a quick list of 13 things I’ll be doing this weekend.
1. Laughing– Oh my word internets, there will be lots of laughing. Lots and lots of laughing. And maybe peeing down one’s leg. (It wouldn’t be the first time!) Did I mention I love to laugh? Oh, and Anita Renfroe will be there, so yes ma’am, you can bet we’ll be doing more than our share of laughing.
2. Eating – Usually at the top of our list. Where are we eating next and do they take reservations? Not to mention the mounds of snacks we’ll share late at night in our hotel rooms.
3. Singing – Last year, three of the girls gave a vocal performance (in the hotel room, mind you) of Harper Valley PTA singing into their hairbrushes. Within minutes the front desk called and asked us to keep the noise to a minimum. I answered the phone and pretended to be half asleep, claiming, “I’ll see if I can find out where the noise is coming from.” We spent the rest of the evening whispering. And giggling like high school girls wondering which room ratted us out.
4. Listening – We’ll spend a great deal of the conference listening to the singers, and the speakers. We’ll hear testimonies, scripture, stories, and experiences. We’ll be encouraged. And ministered to. We’ll hear about Christ’s grace and mercy and how he wants only the very best for us. We’ll also be reminded that no matter how bad things may seem, we are never alone and we are not as goofy as we think. Columbus, Ohio has a great line-up and I’m looking forward to hearing from Anita Renfroe, Nicole Johnson, Marilyn Meberg, Patsy Clairmont, Lisa Welchel, and Sandi Patty.
5. Sleeping – I remember the first time I went on a Women Of Faith trip, I was most looking forward to an entire night of sleep. Would you believe we were up well past 1am and recevieved a wake-up call at 6am. And because I decided to drink about 94 ounces of Dr. Pepper that night, I had to pee twice. Needless to say, we won’t be doing nearly as much sleeping as I’d like.
6. Hosting games on the bus – Remember this post where I shared the bus trip game ideas with you? I’ll be hosting those great games and handing out prizes on the bus.
7. Playing Words With Friends – Oh yes. I will not leave my Words With Friends folks hangin’ I’ll be checking in from time to time on my opponents and hopefully playing some Triple Letter, Triple Word words in between all the laughing, and eating, and dancing.
8. Dancing – With a line-up like Mandisa, Sandi Patty, and Steven Curtis Chapman, you can bet we’ll be dancin’. And singin’. And movin’ to the groovin’ and just when it hit me somebody turned around and shouted… oh, never mind.
9. Calling Home – As much as I look forward to spending the weekend with the girls, I will miss my fellas. Terribly. And I will call home frequently just to hear their sweet voices.
10. Waiting – 26 women. 4 to a hotel room. Hair product and apparatuses galore. Restaurants. Bathrooms. Shopping lines.
You name it, we’ll be waiting for it.
11. Singing – Ah, yes, we have some aspiring praise leaders in our group, and some gals who love to let loose in an arena with 10,000 other women when there is little to no chance of them being heard. And of course, those pajama clad gals singing their rendition of Harper Valley PTA into their hairbrushes well past midnight. Ahem!
12. Laughing – What? I’ve mentioned laughing already. Well, we’ll be doing lots of it. For sure.
13. Charging my beloved iPhone – Wow. This is a biggie. I’ve plotted out in my head that my iPhone will have to be charged every 50 or so miles if it hopes to hold up to the rigorous weekend. I’ve got my home charger and my car charger packed and I hope like heck that church bus has a working ‘cigarette’ plug-in hole. In fact, I’m counting on it. Otherwise, I’ll be asking for a table near an outlet at every restaurant. Crossing my fingers that my iPhone battery can keep up.
Like I said.
Girls gone wild.
Wild and crazy.
And crazy is what I’ll be if my iPhone battery gives out.